Author : Monika F.
Throughout the busy day there are moments when you just wish that you can get a break and take nap. However in most cases this is not all possible. Instead there is variety of foods that calm your mind and help you to get relaxed and rejuvenated.
In Yogic tradition diet consists of mostly sattvic foods. Sattvic food is food rich in prana, like organic fresh fruits and vegetables. They are avoiding canned and processed foods. It has been proven over the time that these foods support your meditation practice and promote a peaceful outlook.
Here I chose the list of 10 most powerful foods that calm your mind:
- Whole grains such as steel cut oats, quinoa, brown rice, or millet are rich in magnesium contains tryptophan, which later becomes serotonin. This is your own natural calming neurotransmitter.
- Berries are all rich in vitamin C and strong antioxidants. Berries will help you combating the daily stress and anxiety.
- Avocados consist of lots of vitamin B. It will nourishes your brain cells and calm the nerves.
- Salmon contains healthy omega 3 fats which is supporting your mood and health.
- Asparagus’ main benefit is folic acid. This supports your nervous system and fights the stress.
- Herbal teas as lavender, chamomile or green tea all contain L-theanine. Their soothing and relaxing compound are perfect for our busy mind during the the day.
- Walnuts and almonds contain zinc. We need Zinc to maintain a balanced mood.
- Chocolate mainly dark chocolate reduces cortisol – the stress hormone that causes anxiety symptoms.
- Spinach comes with vitamins and minerals that support and replenish the adrenal glands and protects us during stress time.
- Coconut oil or ghee work as a natural anti-inflammatory agent. It also healing your gut and helping with memory loss.
Foods to absolutely avoid if you are already tired, aggravated or overworked:
- Mushrooms, meat, poultry, alcoholic beverages, coffee and any highly processed foods.
When under the lot of pressure during the day, try to drink more fluids like water or herbal teas and stay hydrated. Eat less sugary and white flour products as those make you more sluggish, tired and aggravates your already stressed nervous system.
Finally, please leave a comment or question or let me know if you have some other good tip to calm your mind. Namaste!